Date: Saturday March 29, 2014
Subject: Zumbro 2014 Volunteer Communication 3
For those of you who signed up after ‘Volunteer Email 1 and Volunteer Email 2′ were sent out, they can be found HERE http://www.aftontrailrun.com/
Thanks again to everyone that has signed on to volunteer at the 2014 Zumbro Endurance Run, we have a really impressive list of volunteers for this years event and are now just under two weeks out! We could not put on such a great event without your help. We currently have the following numbers registered: 100MI=54, 50MI=132, 17MI=204, TOTAL=390
Current volunteer assignments can be found HERE http://www.aftontrailrun.com/
Please be sure to review the website and specifically the volunteer section in its entirety so you are 100% up to speed on what is going on (printing out what anything you feel you need), where you are going, how to get there, what you are doing, what is provided and what you need to bring – again, all of this can be found on the site – if you still have questions, please be sure to let us know.
IMPORTANT: We are anticipating lingering heavy snow-pack and persistent colder-than-normal weather, the Zumbro Bottoms area is currently covered in a “slurry” of snow, ice, mud and water. As of now we are asking that those volunteers heading to Aid Station 1/4 and 2/3 do not drive down and park in the North Assembly area unless they have a 4-Wheel drive vehicle with decent ground clearance – try to group up with other volunteers in your group that have 4-Wheel drive vehicles to limit traffic heading down so we have the least impact on the road as possible. You should plan to meet at the Start / Finish area then head down in groups, we can also provide rides for people down to AS 1/4 and 2/3 – just come to the Start / Finish area prior to the start of your shift. For those that have to hike out to Aid Station 2/3, be sure to wear rubber boots or shoes that you don’t care about and bring something dry to change into since the trail heading out there is VERY muddy. These are the anticipated conditions but are subject to change, we will provide an update as we get closer to the race.
A few other quick things to note:
- It is probably going to be pretty cold down there, so please be sure to bring a lot of warm clothes, think down jacket and other winter stuff for those late night shifts especially.
- Its probably going to be really muddy so bring appropriate footwear.
- There are toilets at the Start / Finish area and very close to Aid Station 1/4 – however, there are no toilets at Aid Station 2/3 – you either have to use the woods or walk back to Aid Station 1/4 (about a 10 minute walk).
- Work with your aid station captain and those in your group to rotate out and get some rest, feel free to bring a tent, sleeping bag etc so you can catch some Z’s.
- You are welcome to all the aid station food you can eat but you may get tired of it… you may want to pack a lunch so you have something you like.
- ***Feel free to put your own personal touches on the aid station and please work with your group to plan an extra more substantial food item (grilled cheese, burgers, pizza – whatever sounds good and you know you can pull off)!
Need to know what we are providing at the aid stations? A list can be found HERE http://www.aftontrailrun.com/
Never worked an aid station and want to learn more? You can do that HERE http://www.aftontrailrun.com/
Confused about the area or where to go? You can learn much HERE http://www.aftontrailrun.com/
Aid Station 1/4 (Friday through Finish) – Alex Kurt
Aid Station 2/3 (Friday Day and Saturday Day) – John Gustafson
Aid Station 2/3 (Friday Overnight) – Christopher Koch
Aid Station 5 (Friday Day through Friday Night) – Chris Swenke
Aid Station 5 (Friday Overnight to Saturday Morning) – Amy Spieth
Aid Station 5 (Saturday AM to Finish) – Ross Jilk
* Email addresses omitted for web version of this email.
That is all for now, this will probably be the last group email before the race unless something of note comes up. I leave for the race site on the Tuesday prior to the race and from then on will only check email and voicemail once a day, so please, if you have questions or need to get in touch with me, please do so sooner than later!